Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 20:02:56 -0400
From:      "Gary T. Corcoran" <gcorcoran@lucent.com>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Network List <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Win2000 -> FreeBSD PPPoE daemon

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the quick response (it's late where you live,
isn't it? :-)

> It sounds like you haven't done a
>
>   set ifaddr something hisnumber
>
> in your config.  Without this, if the peer asks for 0.0.0.0, ppp will
> just say ``yeah, fine, I don't know any better''.  Make ``hisnumber''
> whatever you want him to use and make ``something'' whatever you want
> to use locally - probably just your NIC iface IP address (dups are ok
> as long as only one is a broadcast device).

We'll try that tomorrow (the test equipment is 65 miles away
and my testing buddy has gone home :).

But the curious thing(s) is that this *same* setup, with no
changes on the FreeBSD end, works as-is with Win98 (with the
same Windows settings).
Also, did you see the part in the trace where we asked for
the specific IP address and FreeBSD did ack that configuration?

If it's just a server setup problem, that's fine, we'll change
it.  But I'm just curious as to what's going on...

BTW, just out of curiousity, why does FreeBSD reject the
identification packets?  Does it really not understand them?

Thanks,
Gary