Date:      Wed, 24 Sep 1997 15:05:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DPT Firmware Problem

Hi Wilko Bulte;  On 24-Sep-97 you wrote:

>  Simon,
>
>  Could you get me more info on the problems with the StorageWorks
>  shelves?
>  I work in DEC Storage engineering and might be able to help you with
>  this
>  problem. What shelves do you use? WHich disks? Revisions etc.
>
>  I assume things like the Shelve OK jumpers are set correctly?
>
>  Wilko

You are a godsend!

We have two versions with two (related?) problems:

The SE DPT 3334UW, with firmware 7L0, is connected to what DPT calls the 9W
tower.  It is a steel box with 7 slots and room above for two more 5.25"
devices.  It has two large power supplies shaped like a large wedge.
The P/S each has a large handle made of rolled steel.
In these, there are two enclosure light in the top-right corner;  A green
power light and a yellow fault light.  With the 7L0 firmware, this light is
ALWAYS on.  Also, the disk modules (4GB Baracuda with 528 bytes sectors),
will blink the amber light on the drive on and off constantly.  Power on
sequence makes no difference.  This is the easy, less important one.

The Differential cabinet is a different story.  It is composed of a disk
card cage which has 8 slots, for 8 drives, in an enclosue of our own design
(please do not ask why :-).  In the back there is an arrangement that takes
three power supplies (DEC provided, in what appears a disk module
enclosure).  They are ganged together with a small power bus board that
came from DEC.  The bus is split into 2, 4 drives (each) busses.  There is
a SE terminator module on the back of this backplane.  There is no jumper
block in the other socket. Each bus goes, via 68 pin high density connector
to a small (DEC provided) board that has a differential plug on the other
side.  The board is shaped like a 3.5" disk drive with a power + SE signal
connectors on hte inside and 68 pin differential on the outside.

These external connectors are connected to a 3334UWD DPT, one bus per
channel.

The symptoms are most annoying.  The DPT will see only one half of the
cabinet.  Typically the right hand side.  The only way to see the whole
cabinet is to bypass the DIFF-SE boards and plug a SE controller directly
into the backplane.  This works perfectly.

One more thing;  the little board that generates the ``shelf good'' from
the different inputs is missing.

I really do not know how/what our hardware guys did.  I asked for
documentation and have seen none.  If you have access to these douments,
I will LOVE to have them.

Thanx for any help you can render.

---

Sincerely Yours,                   (Sent on 24-Sep-97, 12:19:22 by XF-Mail)

Simon Shapiro                                                 Atlas Telecom
Senior Architect         14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 130 Beaverton OR 97005
Shimon@i-Connect.Net          Voice:  503.643.5559, Emergency: 503.799.2313