Date:      Wed, 27 Oct 1999 09:54:31 -0400
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Don <don@calis.blacksun.org>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Journaling

On Wednesday, 27 October 1999 at  7:36:38 -0400, Don wrote:
>> Kirk McKusick has been working for the last year or so on
>> a combination of "soft-updates" (complete) and "snapshots"
>> (not released yet), once complete FFS will have the equivelant
>> of logging AND snapshots like the netapp appliance.
>
> I am familiar with softupdates but not with snapshots. The reason for
> starting a new project was basically to once and for all get rid of UFS.
> While there is nothing wrong with UFS it does have some limitations which
> I would like to eliminate such as a limit of 7 slices.

I think you're mixing things up here.  Journalling and the number of
slices available have nothing to do with anything.  Anyway, the Vinum
layer effectively removes this limitation.

> I would also like to add functionality such as the ability to grow
> and shrink partitions etc.

There is currently a project underway to grow file systems.  Nobody's
been interested enough to shrink them (which is a lot more work), but
I'd guess it would be less difficult than writing a whole new fs.

> Softupdates is also not recommended for use on the root partition
> and it still seems to be just a little flaky.

Possibly, but it's not clear that it will ever be flakier than a new
file system :-)

> Every once in a while I wind up with a problem which I have traced
> to softupdates but which I could not recreate. (To be fair I have
> not had a problem in a month or two now)
>
>> In so far as codebase there is the LFS project, currently
>> fixed (afaik) in NetBSD, perhaps porting that to FreeBSD
>> would be worthwhile.
>
> This is indeed going to be the starting point for this project but I hope
> I would be able to take it far beyond this.

You might also take a look at SGI's xfs.

Greg