Date:      Wed, 26 Sep 2001 15:35:23 +1000
From:      Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
To:        "Brian T . Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Track Indexes for CDs

On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 01:23:26AM -0400, Brian T . Schellenberger wrote:
> information from the net.  There *is* a code on CDs that uniquely identifies
> the CD, but it's gibberish, useful only as an index for one of these internet
> databases.  (What it was originally added for I have no clue since Sony &
> Philips surely didn't anticipate the WWW in 1980 or so when they designed the
> CD, but it's nice that it's there anyway.)

Well, compare it with the ISBN number for books: It's made for
uniquely identifying a book's title, author(s), revision etc. This
CD-ID is the same.

Just like the bookshops have access to a database which translates
an ISBN number into the details of the book, CD manufacturers have
a similair database for the details of a book. And with the
possibilities of a global network, it's pretty neat that I can
insert my audio-cd in the cdplayer-tray and the application pops
up with the tracklisting of it.

Edwin

--
Edwin Groothuis   |              Personal website: http://www.MavEtJu.org