Date:      Fri, 05 Mar 1999 09:46:39 +0100
From:      HERBELOT Thierry <Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr>
To:        Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@freedomnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.0-current VS 3.1-stable?

Huge post :)

If you don't really know why you should run -Current, you need -Stable
(and even more so if you are running servers).

There are some experimental new functions in -Current (The new VM, ...).

When (and if ?) these are considered stable enough, they do get
backported in Stable.

IDE performance in now's Stable is quite good (DMA is supported) - The
new Ata should not give lots of new performances ; it should however
make IDE drives a bit more independant of the actual attachment : there
could be a driver for parallel-port - attached drives, for example.

	HTH

	TfH