Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 2002 14:40:49 -0400
From:      Antoine Beaupre <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1020105090.c714a4@mired.org>
Cc:        freebsd-libh@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: packaging base

Le Mercredi 24 avril 2002, =E0 02:31 , Mike Meyer a =E9crit :

> In <342BD734-57AF-11D6-AE88-0050E4A0BB3F@anarcat.ath.cx>, Antoine=20
> Beaupre <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx> typed:
>> Le Mercredi 24 avril 2002, =E0 02:12 , Mike Meyer a =E9crit :
>>> In <0DFF2010-57A8-11D6-AE88-0050E4A0BB3F@anarcat.ath.cx>, Antoine
>>> Beaupre <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx> typed:
>>> Yes, everything needs to be registered. No, installworld doesn't =
have
>>> to go away. I can see an installworld target that "knows" what
>>> packages are part of the base system, and only installs the ones =
that
>>> are already installed. That's actually cleaner than using make.conf
>>> variables. Buildworld can use similar tactics.
>> That's a very interesting idea.
>> That's why developping pkgAPI is so important: there will be a
>> transparent way of getting this kind of information.
>
> Yeah. The interesting part will be the distinction between updating
> the sources and updating the binary. That's why I hoped you had
> something real to propose. The current ports mechanism makes upgrading
> sources then building and installing them - well, let's say
> interesting.

There shouldn't be a distinction between updating from a binary or a=20
source package.

Let's see we're in the ports paradigm to simplify the explanation:

I'd like the ports to avoid installing the port to create the package.=20=

The package should be created from the compiled binaries stored in the=20=

compilation tree, or stored in a temporary tree.

That means we'd need a mapping between the location of the binary in the=20=

compilation tree and the installation tree, yes.

The advantage of that technique is to, of course, avoid installing=20
unwanted software on a package-building machine.

Also, it could ease the package registration if temporary directory=20
scheme is used: the directory could be structured as how a package is=20
internally constructed and the registration would then be easy as=20
registering a package itself.

The key here is that all this would be managed by the package system=20
(abstraction made of what it is: libh or current pkgtools/sysinstall).=20=

Only the package system knows how a package is formatted.

The port would have only to give the compiledir->installdir mappings in=20=

a defined format (either using makefile rules or current plists).

That could then easily be extended to the base system.

>>> This is potentially something I can work on.
>> That's why I'm bugging you with this. ;) I just want you to avoid
>> thinking that libh is some kind of silver bullet that would take care=20=

>> of
>> this. It's not taking care of this.
>
> I believe it should eventually. I hadn't though about pulling the
> packages stuff out in parallel, though.

It's essential. Libh isn't geared towards messing with the base system=20=

right now. It's hard enough as it is. ;)

>>> Libh isn't, as I what little I know of tcl is enough to keep me from
>>> wanting to learn more.
>> libh is more than just tcl. There's a solid C++ API behind all this.
>
> As if that were an improvement. I'd rather learn TCL than write
> C++. The people doing the work like it, so they are free to use what
> they want. That it excludes me is my problem, not theirs.

LOL!

Good luck then. :) Just keep in mind that we need a pkgAPI (that could=20=

technically be language independant), and that would take care of=20
interfacing the "ports" (wether they're 3rd party or base) to create=20
packages.

libh features will of course influence that API's capabilities, just as=20=

current pkgtools functionalities restrict the ports system.

A.