Date:      Mon, 19 Sep 2005 16:37:36 -0400
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        "Paul T. Root" <ptroot@iaces.com>
Cc:        swhetzel@gmail.com, "Sandro Noel." <snoel@gestosoft.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Eriq <admin@tigergroup.org>
Subject:   Re: any ideas when 5.5 will be out

--+QahgC5+KEYLbs62

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 02:36:10PM -0500, Paul T. Root wrote:
> In the past, x.0 releases are meant for the adventurous
> not the production oriented.
>=20
> I never go before x.1. And I skipped 3.x completely.
> I just got my final server from 4.11 to 5.4 in July.
>=20
> 6.x is probably still 9-12 months away from prime time.
> But that's just a guess on my part. I do know that they
> are pushing on it harder than they did for 5.0.

It's not nearly as big a gap as between other (n-1).x -> n.0 releases,
so I'd say this time expectation is extremely pessimistic.  However,
time will tell, and if you're not able to deal with the possibility of
bugs in 6.0 then you should at least wait a while until after the
release to see what bugs are reported.

Kris

--+QahgC5+KEYLbs62

--+QahgC5+KEYLbs62--