Date:      Wed, 15 Feb 1995 15:56:50 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        jkh@FreeBSD.org (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/boot/dosboot ansi.h boot.c boot.h bootinfo.h cdefs.h dinode.h dir.h dirent.h disk.c disklabe.h dkba

> > I don't see very much what would be the advantage over rebooting
> > the PC.
>
> [stick CD in drive] "ffffffffvvvvvvtt.....thwap"
> C> E:
> E> install
>
> Install is an install.bat script which boots a special kernel off
> the CD with fbsdboot and up it comes, sniffs out the CDROM, mounts
> it as root, looks for the rest of the installation stuff, etc..
>
> Now do you see the advantage? ;-)

Now I do. But then, if this is the main use, my point is why not
hack netboot.com to do it ?

netboot sources contain the commands to cross compile code for DOS
under FreeBSD, and to load the kernel to the desired place. Plus, there
are procedures to go back and forth from real mode. And, as the kernel is
read from a DOS filesystem, you don't even need to put there code to
understand the FreeBSD filesystem, just call the appropriate INT 21.

Then ok, if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522