Date:      Sat, 02 Nov 2002 14:18:12 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Galen Sampson <galen_sampson@yahoo.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: crash with network load (in tcp syncache ?)

Galen Sampson wrote:
> > With proper tuning, and some minor patches, 7000/second isn't hard
> > to get.
> >
> > If you add the Duke University version of the Rice University patches
> > for LRP, modify the mbuf allocator for static freelisting and then
> > pre-populate it, and tune the kernel properly, you should be able to
> > get over 20,000 connections per second.  The best I've managed with a
> > modified FreeBSD 4.2, before the SYN-cache code, was 32,000/second.
>
> Out of pure curiosity what is the reason that the Duke and Rice patches were
> never incorporated into the base system.  If it really enables the same machine
> to provide 4 times the number of connections this seems like it would be a
> useful thing to include.

To be accurate, it's 3X.  The 4X number requires a different
kernel memory allocator for mbufs, which my employer at the
time did not permit me to publish the code for, though the
idea has plenty of prior art (back to 1992 and DEC WRL).

The current Rice (FreeBSD 4.0) and Duke patches (FreeBSD 4.4)
require executing a technology transfer license in order to be
able to use them commercially; technically, they have license
restrictions incompatible with FreeBSD.

When the code was first offerred to the project (FreeBSD 2.2),
the project never integrated the code.  I don't know why they
didn't make it in, then.

FWIW, I personally dislike the "rescon -- Resource Container"
-- code in the newer implementation; for embedded devices, it's
not important to account overhead to a particular process, I
think.

-- Terry