Date:      Fri, 4 Jan 2002 21:38:33 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        Brian Astill <bastill@sa.apana.org.au>
Cc:        Matthew Graybosch <matthew@starbreaker.net>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: soundcard install

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 02:24:53PM +1030, Brian Astill wrote:
> > Compared to Linux 2.4, the
> > FreeBSD kernel is a piece of cake to rebuild, IMHO.
>
> Hence your earlier reply, I presume.  Anyway, thanks - I'll have a go.
> Looks like I'll have to, if I want sound, in any case.  :-)

Or you could try:

# kldload snd

to load all the sound modules, then:

# cat /dev/sndstat

to see what, if any, devices were found and attached.  Once you know which
specific snd_foo.ko module your card is using, add a line:

snd_foo_load="YES"

to /boot/loader.conf, to have the right modules loaded automatically at
boot time.  Obviously replace 'foo' with the appropriate driver name for
your hardware; for example I'm using 'emu10k1' for my SBLive! card.

No need to recompile your kernel at all, although as everyone else has
said, it's not at all difficult and something you should do at least once,
if only to avoid loading all those drivers for hardware you don't have...

HTH,

	Scott