Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 2000 12:33:21 -0600 (CST)
From:      BWS - Offwhite <brennan@offwhite.net>
To:        Mark Rowlands <mark.rowlands@minmail.net>
Cc:        Daniel Taghioff <Daniel.Taghioff@btinternet.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A simplified operating system for developing countries.

A rant would have very much out of place.

Access to information is just as important than food and shelter in the
long run.  Through my access to the internet I was able to learn Perl and
now I am able to make a very nice living doing that.  I now maintain
multiple servers as a sys/database admin.  It all started with me learning
on my parents 486 PC.

If I were in a country with limited resources I would appreciate access to
a system which allowed me to learn and to become aware of opportunities
which were not there before.

You have to start somewhere.

So, to get started with your search for a easy to install OS, I would
really try Linux if you are not all too familiar with the hardware.  It
does a great deal of auto-detecting for you.  But if you have a decent
understanding of the hardware you could easily use FreeBSD as well.  You
can purchase a copy for $40 and duplicate it as much as you like.

http://www.freebsdmall.com/software/

You may also want to look over EasyBSD.  It is a new branch off FreeBSD
which aims to make BSD easy for everyday users.

http://easybsd.sourceforge.net/

There is also Pico BSD, another FreeBSD branch which is supposed to fit on
a floppy.  You can boot right off it, but I am not sure the status of
that project.

http://people.FreeBSD.org/~picobsd/

It seems that project is progressing nicely.  I am not sure if you could
install a text browser with the dial-up version, but that seems to be a
typical user for it.

Good Luck!

Brennan Stehling - web developer and sys admin
projects: www.greasydaemon.com | www.onmilwaukee.com | www.sncalumni.com

Do you ever find it is easier to explain an idea if you put it into
Star Trek terms?