Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 02:38:47 -0800
From:      Steve Leibel <stevel@bluetuna.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: New to Unix

--============_-1236541765==_ma============

At 10:56 PM -0800 11/29/00, Brian and Myrna wrote:
>I am sure that you get a lot of these types of questions so here=20
>goes. I am completely new to Unix. I downloaded your software and=20
>had no trouble installing it. My question is, now that I have this=20
>stuff installed what do I do with it? In other words I realize that=20
>the free bsd will act as a firewall but other than that I don't know=20
>what to do with it. I have been looking at your manual a little bit=20
>but am not very confident in myself in regards to this type of=20
>stuff. I know this is very broad but do you get where I'am going?=20
>Please respond to=20
><mailto:bryhartline@hotmail.com>mailto:bryhartline@hotmail.com
>
>PS..
>
>This was extremely easy to install, it basically took care of itself=20
>and one other question. I went to two different sites to check my=20
>security after I installed this. The first site said my security=20
>wasd poor. It was able to open up my C drive, it was at=20
><http://www.robrob8.com/online_security.htm>http://www.robrob8.com/onl=20
>ine_security.htm. The second one gave me a great report and stated=20
>that my security was very good and it was at=20
><http://grc.com/>http://grc.com/. Any suggestions? I am eager to=20
>learn a little more about the Unix environment!

My favorite book for getting a beginner up to speed quickly on Unix=20
is called "Unix for the Impatient" by  Paul W. Abrahams and Bruce R.=20
Larson.  It's available on Barnes and Noble's website.  It tells you=20
a little bit about everything.

Another excellent book is "Learning the Unix Operating System" by=20
Grace Todino.  It's intended to guide you from knowing nothing about=20
Unix to being able to get around the basic shell commands in one=20
sit-down session.  Highly recommended.

Steve