Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 2003 01:46:51 +0100
From:      Mark <admin@asarian-host.net>
To:        "Per olof Ljungmark" <peo@intersonic.se>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Shutdown for APC Back-UPS 350 CS

----- Original Message -----
From: "Per olof Ljungmark" <peo@intersonic.se>
To: "Mark" <admin@asarian-host.net>
Cc: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Monday, January 20, 2003 1:31 AM

> Mark wrote:
>
> > I know I have asked this before, a month or so ago, but I am still
> > rather stuck with this. So, if anyone has a useful suggestion, I would
> > appreciate you sharing it with me.
> >
> > Has anyone ever managed to get the APC Back-UPS 350 CS to shutdown? It
> > runs on /dev/ttyd0, with the appropriate cable. But it never sees the
> > power go off-line, and, hence, does not go into shutdown mode. :( When I
> > do an "apcaccess status", it gives me this:
> >
> > --------------------------
> >
> > DATE     : Mon Jan 20 01:02:14 CET 2003
> > HOSTNAME : asarian-host.net
> > RELEASE  : 3.8.5
> > UPSNAME  : UPS_IDEN
> > CABLE    : APC Cable 940-0128A
> > MODEL    : BackUPS
> > UPSMODE  : Stand Alone
> > STARTTIME: Sun Jan 19 19:54:05 CET 2003
> > LINEFAIL : OK
> > BATTSTAT : OK
> > STATFLAG : 0x008 Status Flag
> > END APC  : Mon Jan 20 01:02:14 CET 2003
> >
> > --------------------------
> >
> > It all seems dandy, but it just will not notice the power-loss. :( Has
> > anyone ever got this to work on FreeBSD 4.7 (the machine the APC
> > Back-UPS 350 CS runs on)?
>
> I don't know specifically about the 350CS, about the only thing I know
> is you have to have exactly the right cable/software combination. Did
> you confirm that there is a 940-0128A between the units? Perhaps trying
> other options as advised at
> http://www.sibbald.com/apcupsd/3.8manual/configure.html#ConfigGeneral
> could give you a hint in the right direction.

Thank you for the quick reply. Yes, I have the correct cable; in fact, APC
specifically sent it to me as I could not get USB to work at all (seems not
yet supported on FreeBSD), and the number is stamped in the cable.

I am familiar with the document you pointed me to, and I believe I set
everything according to how it should be; here is my config (stripped off
comments):

UPSCABLE 940-0128A
UPSTYPE backups
DEVICE /dev/ttyd0
LOCKFILE /var/spool/lock
BATTERYLEVEL 10
MINUTES 3
TIMEOUT 15
ANNOY 10
ANNOYDELAY 5
NOLOGON always
KILLDELAY 0
NETSERVER off
NISPORT 7000
EVENTSFILE /var/log/apcupsd.events
STATTIME 3600
STATFILE /var/log/apcupsd.status
LOGSTATS off
DATATIME 0
UPSNAME UPS_IDEN
BEEPSTATE 0
LOWBATT 2
UPSCLASS standalone
UPSMODE disable
NETACCESS true

Understanding the docs right, the "TIMEOUT 15" should start a forced
shutdown after 15 secs of power loss (set so low for test-purposes). Alas,
nothing happens. :(

Thanks anyway.

- Mark