Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 2000 07:30:21 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "James A Wilde" <james.wilde@telia.com>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Sun OS (Was: BSD Inquiry...)

James A Wilde writes:
> [...]

Except SysV isn't a Sun Inc. OS. I've lost track of who owns it at
this point.

> > Linux isn't based on Unix source code. It's a rewrite from scratch
> > based on the SysV manuals. So the flavor is a lot like SysV (or
> > Solaris). On the other hand, there's no centralized source for Linux
> > code outside the kernel, so you never know...
> ...and presumably then Posix is SysV-like cos I know Linus has said that the
> Linux kernel aims to be Posix compatible.

Yeah, I think Posix started with SVID (the System V Interface
Definition from AT&T), then cleaned things up and standardized some
extensions. Then again, BSD tries to follow Posix, at least to some
degree. I'm not sure how much of the system admin stuff is specified
by Posix, but that's where the differences between SysV and BSD are
most apparent to me.

	<mike