Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 2002 15:27:48 -0700
From:      Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        Dale Morris <dlm@well.com>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AC 97 Soundcard

Annelise Anderson wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, Dale Morris wrote:
> > I'm trying to get sound established for my new 4.6 FreeBSD system and my
> > sound card is an onboard AC 97 on an MSI (MicroStar Int) MS-6309 LE2
> > mainboard.
> >
> > Do I have to compile sound support in the kernel or can I load a kld for
> > the soundcard? Such as:
> > root# kldload ac97**module
> >
> > Can anyone point me to some newbie info on how to do this? I have read
> > the manual and am still a little unclear what to do with this particular
> > card.
>
> The modules are in /modules.  The sound modules all begin with snd_
> You might try kldload snd_pcm

There are two ways I've gotten sound drivers to work.  One is by
building a kernel with a "device pcm" line the config file.  The other
is to put a load line in /boot/loader.conf.  The appropriate module is
dependant on your hardware.  If you know the hardware you have, though,
you can make some educated guesses and grep a strings -f output to
narrow the list.