Date:      Sun, 27 Jul 2003 13:58:30 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Nonsense discussion: dreaming up new technology

Since this is -chat ...

I had this idea, and I'd be curious what some experts think about it.

The basic concept is a printer that prints programs onto paper.  Imagine
taking an oridinary sheet of paper and printing a "document" on it.  When
it came out it had buttons and an LCD screen printed on it.  The difference
between what would come out of a normal printer is that when you pressed
the buttons, the numbers appeared on the screen. (all on the paper)  You
could basically create a calculator by printing out a document.

The overall approach is "interactive prited media".  Imagine a sales
brochure where you could press the paper to check/uncheck options and
see the price update right on the paper.

Sound crazy ... that's why I'm posting it.  Here are the details of how
_I_ feel it could work.  I want to know if other people think it's
possible.

In addition to standard ink, the printer would have several special inks:
a conductive (metallic?) ink, and several inks that change properties when
electricity is applied (i.e. change from clear to red, clear to blue ...)
Additionally, a pressure-sensitive ink that conducts electricity only
when pressure is applied.

Thus, it doesn't take a genious to imagine circuits, LCD-like screens,
buttons, and possibly more complex circuit logic than simply on/off
switches (inks with other properties to create things such as timers).

The battery could either be wafer thin and embedded in the paper (you're
using special paper) or (possibly) the chemicles that create a battery
could be stored in ink form and the battery basically "printed" to the
page.

Complex, yes.  But is it possible?  Chemistry is NOT my thing, but I'm
guessing that the technology to make such inks either exists, or could
be developed.

By making it do a multi-pass, conductive and non-conductive inks could
be layered on top of each other, generating pretty complex circuits.
Then the whole thing could be covered with standard ink to hide the
circuitry.

So.  Am I the first to imagine such a thing?  How close is the
technology to actually doing it?  What does everyone think about it?

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies