Date:      Sun, 30 Sep 2001 21:35:06 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Bart Kus <bsd@shell-server.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: precise timing

In message <200109301010.07784@EO> Bart Kus writes:
: 	Right now, I use for() as a timing loop.  I calibrate it on program start
: and can then get very precise timing.  There are, of course, the intermittent
: interruptions of the multitasker.  So this solution is not ideal by any
: means.  In fact, the for() loop approach is really meant for the DOS port of
: this software.  I'm wondering if there is any way I can access a more precise
: interrupt-driven (or blocking) timing source.  I know I can do a select()
: with supposedly microsecond accuracy, but I doubt that it is in fact that
: accurate in practice (doesn't the kernel only use a 100Hz clock or
: something?).  Is there any way to get at the system timers on the
: motherboard?  Those can provide precise timing, no?

you are likely better off implementing this as a device driver, likely
with the parallel port bus stuff.

Warner