Date:      Thu, 21 May 1998 17:43:27 +0100 (BST)
From:      Geoff Buckingham <geoffb@demon.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Intel DK440LX m/b

I Just dragged this out of the archives:

> Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 15:41:59 EST
> To: questions@FreeBSD.org
> Subject: Intel DK440LX m/b
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
>
> Have you done any compatibility test with the new Intel DK440LX motherboard
> with Dual Pentium 2 processor?
>
> This motherboard also has an onboard SCSI from Adaptec AIC 7895P, have you
> written any drivers for it yet?
>
> Since we didn't have any drivers for the Adaptec AIC 7895P chip, we added an
> AHA-2940UW SCSI card to our Seagate 4.3GB drive and installed FreeBSD.  It
> installed ok, it found the drive and the installation was successful.
> However, the first time you boot FreeBSD you get a Read Error.  Could this be
> because the DK440LX uses a Phoenix Bios and not an AMI Bios.
>
> Thanks in Advance,
>
> Patrick

I seem to be seeing exactly the same thing with the  DK440LX board I have.
Does anybody have this working without CAM? (No onboard SCSI obviously)

I have installed 2.2.6 to both a seagate drive hanging off an adaptec 3940
and to an IDE disk on the onboard controller, in both cases I either get
a read error if I have dedicated the disk to FreeBSD or 'missing operating
system' if I have installed with dos style partitions. It's as if the BIOS
refuses to boot a 165 partition from hard disk, this seems unlikly as it
boots the floppy fine.

--
GeoffB