Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 2000 21:03:19 -0800
From:      Steve Reid <sreid@sea-to-sky.net>
To:        Troy Settle <troy@psknet.com>
Cc:        Bob Martin <bob@inu.net>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ODBC

On Wed, Nov 08, 2000 at 09:02:20AM -0500, Troy Settle wrote:
> It's not ODBC, but FreeTDS works great against MSSQL7.
[snip]
> For perl, I don't know for sure, but I think the DBI module will give
> you access to MSSQL.

I'm currently using FreeTDS with DBD::Sybase to connect to an MS-SQL
server (don't know or care what version).

I had some problems getting DBD::Sybase working initially. First I had
to do some massaging to get it to compile (something related to perl
internals; I don't recall details). Once compiled it gave "can't assign
requested address" or something trying to connect to the database (it
was looking for the "interfaces" config file in the wrong location
(thank the gods for ktrace)).

It's working fine for me now. However, I've noticed some superfluous \0
bytes in database responses that need to be filtered out. Nuking \0 is
a good idea anyway (see Phrack #55).