Date:      Wed, 07 May 2003 10:56:11 -0400
From:      "Jesse D. Guardiani" <jesse@wingnet.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ideal laptop recommendations?

Kevin Oberman wrote:

>> From: "Jesse D. Guardiani" <jesse@wingnet.net>
>> Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 17:43:27 -0400
>> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org

<snip>

>>  6.) Great Power management support

[...]

> 6. Ain't no such thing today. APM is pretty limited, but I can live with
> it. ACPI requires current and is still fairly buggy (as are many
> BIOSes).

OK, so the general information I've been reading from various posts
and webpages seems to indicate that crappy ACPI support isn't really
FreeBSD's fault.

Apparently, even though ACPI has been around since 95', manufacturers
can't seem to get the implementation compatible with the specification.
I assume that some manufacturers write their own windows drivers to
make up for the buggy implementation?

Is that a pretty good evaluation? Or is it more complicated?

<snip>

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,