Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 15:48:00 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "stephane antoine" <stephane.antoine@kcl.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: question Internet browser in gnome for freeBSD4.2

> From: "stephane antoine" <stephane.antoine@kcl.ac.uk>
> Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 00:33:45 +0100
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>

> As I have install GNOME + Enlightment (Gnome + Ewindow manager) instead of
> KDE as my destop environment, I would like to know
> how would I install an Internet browser?
> By default, I have on my desktop the icon of
> "netscape browser" but, by clicking on it, no window appears.
>
> I have in the program menu the folowing:
> Programm>Internet>Internet(empty)
>
> And also it seems that I don't have many other gnome applications
> for example the "help" is not available/installed, the utility to set up
> the network interfaces....
>
> I seemed that I installed succesfully all the packages related to GNOME +
> enlightment
> in my FreeBSD 4.2 CD as I was not prompted for any error.
>
> My network is working properly, I just prefer the GNOME environment.
>
> Should I install the GNome packages from a ftp server, which one? are
> the instructions "how to install it" provided.

The oddly named gnome-fifth-toe port is a container for a number of
popular tools including gnucash, guppi, electric-eyes, gabber,
sodopodi, galeon, gnumeric, Abiword and Mozzila.

Of these, Mozzila is the closest thing you will find to a general
purpose browser. It's developed from Netscape code and has many
similarities including being VERY heavy.

Galeon might be what you are looking for. It's fast and light. Does
not have every network tool imaginable built in, but does browsing
very nicely.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)