Date:      Sun, 2 Apr 2000 01:44:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      Omachonu Ogali <oogali@intranova.net>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Cc:        Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTP with firewall rules

Why hack FTP when you can use 'pftp', why hack 'fetch' when you can set
the environment variable for passive mode...just thought you'd like to
know.

On Sat, 1 Apr 2000, Nate Williams wrote:

> > I'm looking for some input on how to set up
> > FTP through an IPFW firewall so that you don't
> > have to run passive mode.
> >
> > Passive mode makes things like building ports difficult.
>
> Why?  I've got it setup that way (been that way for a couple of years),
> and things work fine.  However, I do things a bit 'non-standard', and go
> hack the sources to both ftp and fetch to make passive mode the
> default on my boxes. :)
>

> Nate

| Omachonu Ogali                                     oogali@intranova.net |
| Intranova Networking Group                 http://tribune.intranova.net |
| PGP Key ID:                                                  0xBFE60839 |
| PGP Fingerprint:       C8 51 14 FD 2A 87 53 D1  E3 AA 12 12 01 93 BD 34 |