Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2017 00:02:32 +0200
From:      Kajetan Staszkiewicz <vegeta@tuxpowered.net>
To:        FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   IPsec tunnel mode with gif

--nextPart2906105.rck5h4RQ7z

Hi group,

=46or many years I have used the trick of running a GRE or GIF tunnel encry=
pted=20
with IPSec transport mode, both on FreeBSD and Linux. That allows me to run=
=20
BGP or OSPF on the tunnels.

I am also aware of IPsec tunnel mode which kind of works for me, although i=
s=20
not my personal choice.

Both modes of operation seem quite straightforward.

Yet for a reason beyond my understanding FreeBSD handbook proposes a 3rd mo=
de:=20
using a GIF tunnel together with IPSec tunnel mode. I really don't understa=
nd=20
how is that supposed to work. People On The Internet also seem not to be ab=
le=20
to understand the reasoning behind such solution. Since IPSec stack provide=
s=20
its own encapsulation in tunnel mode, packets coming to a router would neve=
r=20
reach the GIF interface and would never be encapsulated by it. Same for=20
packets received, they would be deencapsulated by IPsec stack and reinjecte=
d=20
with internal IP addresses on a public interface of router or they would=20
appear on enc0 interface if it is in use.

Am I wrong? Or is the Handbook wrong?

=2D-=20
| pozdrawiam / greetings | powered by Debian, FreeBSD and CentOS |
|  Kajetan Staszkiewicz  | jabber,email: vegeta()tuxpowered net  |
|        Vegeta          | www: http://vegeta.tuxpowered.net     |