Date:      Sat, 18 Jan 1997 12:46:33 -0500
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
To:        benedict@echonyc.com
Cc:        schluntz@pinpt.com, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD into larget corp. environment?

 >> The call would come in to a 'first level' person, who would take
 >> down all of the various information about the person who was
 >> calling in (Call back if the call gets lost, CC info or support
 >> contract number.), the system information and the problem that
 >> they are having.  At that point the tech should have a clue if
 >> this is something that they can take a shot at.  If it is they can
 >> do a system look up on the problem and if they have any good info
 >> pass that on to the person ('Easy' stuff that is already
 >> documented. ) if they can't get the info they could tell the
 >> person that some one will get back in touch with them in the next hour
 >> (Or what ever) and the go to a look up sheet.  The look up sheet
 >> would be a list of FBSD coders and techies who want to make a bit
 >> of extra money.  For each of them would be a list of contact numbers,
 >> times they are available and what areas they know about.  You would then
 >> contact one of them and give them the information about the problem.  They
 >> would contact the customer and help them with the problem.  After it was
 >> resolved they would 'report back' via eMail form or something else
 >> so we know the resolution and can put it in the database.
 >> If they don't know the resolution they can bring someone else in as well.
 >> There are many other things you could do to stream line it all and such.
 > So in other words, the customer sends a recursive problem-resolution
 > request to the first-level tech, who can then look up and send
 > non-recursive requests to any more advanced users who are authoritative
 > for that type of problem.

Not not necessarily non-recursive requests.  Multi-tiered support
means many tiers, not necc 2.  If the first contact can't answer the
question, it will probably go to the most knowledgable person present,
then some random guru somewhere else, then to one of the heavy
wizards, or something like that.

Since FreeBSD wizards aren't well-ordered, then there exists a
possible halting problem here, but that's nothing a well-balanced dose
of nonreality couldn't deal with.

Cheers,
joelh

--
http://www.wp.com/piquan --- Joel Ray Holveck --- joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu
All my opinions are my own, not the FSF's, my employer's, or my dog's.

Fourth law of computing:
  Anything that can go wro
.signature: segmentation violation -- core dumped