Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 1996 08:25:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jonathan Mini <j_mini@efn.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Screen savers for syscons....

  Lately I've been running FreeBSD 2.1.5-R with a MDA/Herc monitor, and
I've been slowly getting annoyed at the screen savers (or lack thereof)
for FreeBSD. Currently, I have to turn my monitor off, since the screen
savers supplied with FreeBSD won't work on my MDA adapter. Is it jsut me
or do they only work on VGA displays? (I haven't tried using an EGA
display) If the screen savers only work on VGA displays, they should at least
take advantage of the graphics device available.
  I'm planning on modifying the screen savers that come with FreeBSD
2.1.5-R to work with other display devices other than VGA. (like my mono
system) AFter that, I'd like to write a few screen savers that use the
320x200x256 graphics mode of VGA to create a few decent screen savers.
(let's face it, other than the "green" and "blank" screen savers
everything else is pitiful.)
  I'm looking at wirting :
	- Text based screen savers which will work under any syscon.
	- a few 320x200 screen savers that work under VGA :
		- a decent star saver (like xrocks)
	  I've a few other ideas, but none of them planned.

  Am I repeating code already written? If not, is there much of a need for
a decent set of screen savers? And if so, are there any you guys would
like to see in particular... ;)

                                Jon Mini, j_mini@efn.org, mini@4j.lane.edu
                                                    GAMMA Development Team
"I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...."
little.blue.engine:Reality Protection Fault. (core dumped)