Date:      Fri, 16 Jan 1998 16:15:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rudy Gireyev <rgireyev@yahoo.com>
To:        jackson@msrce.howard.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: easy install?  I think not!

There are no other distributions of FreeBSD that I know of, however
this distribution is available from other sources. Like for instance
Unix Unleashed System Administration has a binary only (read no
sources) version of this distribution.
Yes the site has been down.

My Questions :-)

1. You mention nothing about how you've partitioned the disk drive. If
any of your partitions are not primary (like extended) sysinstall will
lock up.

2. Alt+F1 has the debug info. During install you can set that to be
verbose also. If you could include the last few lines you see that
would help a lot as well.

Rudy

---jackson@msrce.howard.edu wrote:

> >subscribe freebsd-questions
> Sorry for that.
>
> Problem description:
> I've been trying to install freebsd 2.2.5 on a packard bell 70Mhz
pentium from
> the Walnut Creek CDROM for the past few days with no luck. This
computer belongs
> to a friend who needs unix for class work, but she doesn't know
anything about
> the hardware.  As far as I can tell it has 1 ide hard drive, 1 ide
cd drive a
> pci video card and a modem. It boots fine, from a floppy, (after I
disable all
> the devices with irq conflicts).  I can then repartition the hard
disk set up
> the freebsd partitions and then select the install files
(X-Developer) and the
> distribution media CDROM.  It then tells me this is my last chance
to abort.
> After an ok, the installer makes all the file systems, puts booteasy
on the MBR
> and then stops with an error saying that an emergency shell has been
started on
> vty4.  Alt-f4 takes me to a shell with a '#' prompt, which I assume
is run from
> the flopy since very few commands work.  Alt-f2, I think, takes me
to a log
> window which doesn't appear to have any error messages. I then tried
to copy the
> install files to the hard drive.  Running view I started the
necessary program
> and configured it to copy the necessary files.  Even that gave me an
error,
> something like 'x32bin.tgz not found'. I then deselected xf86, and
the files
> were copied to the hard drive.  Trying the installer again, using
the hard disk
> for the install media this time, gave the same results as noted
above.  I also
> noticed that the installer goes into an infinite loop after an error
from the
> first screen to the first partition screen and back to the first
screen.

> Questions:
> Is this a hardware problem?  Is there another way to install freebsd
without
> using the installer?  Is this a problem with the Walnut Creek CD?
What other