Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2006 08:51:26 -0600
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
To:        Cristiano Deana <cristiano.deana@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: sshd. "UseDNS no" ignored?

I remember a discussion about this maybe a few years ago.  I recall that
it is basically impossible to stop ssh from looking up DNS addresses.
The problem I was having was that ssh would take a long time to connect
on my intranet, when my internet connection was slow or not working.  I
thought that the solution might be to put the relevant intranet
addresses into /etc/hosts, but since sshd operates in some kind of
jailed environment, that didn't work.  Apparently there is some place
where you can put hosts so that sshd will look at it.  But I opted for a
different option, and placed a DNS server on my intranet.