Date:      Mon, 16 Jun 1997 09:57:40 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "M. L. Dodson" <bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, acosta@intergate.bc.ca
Subject:   Re: Simplicity.

> hello folks,
> I am a very dedicated computer lover and I intend to try FreeBSD in my
> computer.
> The configuration of my computer is fine, but the complexity of the
> instalation makes me cry.

The difficulty of reading email messages with no punctuation, and no
spaces between paragraphs makes me cry.

> Computers were created to make things simple, not complicated for men.
> The reason Microsoft and Apple are so famous all ,over the world is the
> simplicity and directness of their applications and approach. I own a pc
> and when I need to install
> something, I go, download the program and click setup, or the program
> file if it is an exe file, even zip, but i know it is allthere and i
> donot have to gather anything , just click the file to install the OS.
> Now with FreeBSD, I go to the ftp site and it is a total confusion for
> the common computer user.

That's your opinion.  If you read the web site in some sort of logical
sequence, all the most straightforward questions are answered (including
approximately 80% of the ones that get asked on this list).  Read on;
I'm going to tell you what you want to know, but first some comments on
your email posting here and your attitude.

>I have no idea which is the real program or
> what should I download!!!

Then you have not read the web site.

>The information is confusing and extremely
> technical.The versio 2.2.2 ( most recent one) has tons of directories
> and no clue which one IS THE OS iteself. If you all want more people to
> enjoy your creation, you should make it real simple and direct to
> obtain.

Try reading the "instructions on the box".

> Indicate clearly which file is the one to download that contains the
> whole OS and try to make it as simple as it is to install windows 95 or
> win3.1 or even DOS for that matter. The days where computers were only
> for nerds and total weird affictionados of computing are OVER!! I still
> go to universities and I have to argue with the computer lab technicians
> to make things simple and easy for the people that never spend 4 to 5
> years only studying computers.

Sounds like you are happy with Microsoft and their way of doing things.
Perhaps you should stay with them?

> I want to install FreeBSD, but I need some help regarding WHAT to
> download from the ftp site.

I guarantee that it took you longer to post this diatribe than it
would have taken to read the instructions on the web site.  And it
is taking me longer to respond to this message than it deserves.

> What file do I download??? There are so many directories that i do not
> know what I place in each floppy so I can install later,like win3.1, one
> floppy at a time and it is done. Can you clarify it for me and my
> friends so we can try your OS???
> Try to make it very simple and direct so absolutely no confusion are
> created.

This is from memory; please review the web site and use the instructions
there if they differ from these.

1. Inventory your computer's hardware.  Write down all the addresses and
   IRQs used by your hardware devices.  You should also do this before
   installing win95, by the way.
2. Obtain the file floppies/boot.flp and the prograw rawwrite.exe
3. Be sure to use binary mode if you ftp these programs.
4. Use the rawwrite.exe program to put the boot.flp image onto a
   1.44MB floppy.  (Under DOS.  At one time, at least, win95 DOS boxes
   would not work.)  In your case the floppy should be formatted under
   DOS, and it should have NO bad sectors.  If it has bad sectors use
   another floppy and try again.  The boot.flp image is NOT a DOS file.
   It is a floppy image.  If you use the DOS copy program, the image
   will not fit, and even if it did, it would not work.
5. Set up your computer BIOS to boot from the floppy before the hard
   disk, then reboot your computer.  When it offers the Boot: prompt, enter
   -c and press Return
   It will load a special version of FreeBSD that is set up for installations.
   Follow the instructions to go into the "visual" mode of the device
   configuration system.  Deactivate (turn off) all the devices you DO NOT
   have.  Adjust the addresses and IRQs of the ones you DO have.  Follow the
   instructions AFTER READING THEM (carefully).
6. If you have an Internet connection, you can use it to obtain the rest
   of the files needed for the installation.  If not, but have
   a CDROM drive, I suggest that is the next best way to go.  Actually,
   I suggest that is best even if you do have an Internet connection.
7. If neither of those, you will have to post again (hopefully in a little
   less flaming way) asking for detailed instructions for an MS-DOS install,
   (I'm assuming that you will not read the web site on how to do that.)
   I have no experience with MSDOS installations, and I am not going to
   fire up Netscape just to copy them down for you.

> Even though I know Microsoft is not liked at all by the real computer
> hackers the simplicity and directness of their applications is a good
> thing it should be imitated.

We are trying, but if you think you are going to be successful with any
Unix with that attitude, in my opinion you will fail.  The learning curve
is steep, but this is an OPPORTUNITY if you will adjust your attitude.
I suggest you make use of it.

> I appreciate anything that leads me to the right directon without the
> need for me to take a full computer course.

Many thousands have successfully installed FreeBSD without a special
course.  There isn't even a course to take.

> Thank you.
> Tony Costa

Bud Dodson

PS, I should apologize to all the regular readers of this list for the
shouting, so I will.

--
M. L. Dodson                                bdodson@scms.utmb.edu
409-772-2178                                FAX: 409-772-1790