Date:      Thu, 29 May 1997 20:18:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: want to discuss three new variables in the ports collection

On Thu, 29 May 1997, Andreas Klemm wrote:

> > Two thumbs down on this proposal. If you want to find out more about
> > a port, type "make extract" and read the ports own docs.
>
> Some disadvantages here:
>
> 	- The user must have the sources or he'd have to fetch
> 	  K- or MBytes from internet only to get some little
> 	  information
>
> 	- The user must have the space to unpack the sources. Some
> 	  packages are really large. So you need space and waste
> 	  some machine cycles ...
>
> > If the author doesn't give contact info there, he probably
> > doesn't want to hear from anyone. :)
>
> Well that is true, but doesn't matter here I think. Don't raise
> the exception to normal case ;-)
>
> Ahem, don't you (or someone else) see advantages by adding these
> informations ?! ;-)

I see more disadvantages.  This kind of information changes more often,
and so it will not be terribly reliable.  Many people just don't want a
deluge of feedback from people who are not sophisticated enough to be
able to get the same info from the README files, and so this will lead to
FreeBSD getting a bad reputation from authors who suddenly get a great
deal more bother from FreeBSD ports.

> port maintainers and user of ports get more easily further
> information on the software.
>
> More credit to the authors of the package. We don't have any
> real standardized mechanism to honor the people who have
> written the software. Ok, you could put that into the DESCR
> file, but there is no standard.
>
> Unexperianced users might get faster access to real help
> channels if there are special mailinglists ...
>
> Only my $0.02
>
> 	Andreas ///
>
> --
> Andreas Klemm | klemm.gtn.com - powered by
>                     Symmetric MultiProcessor FreeBSD
>                        http://www.freebsd.org/~fsmp/SMP/SMP.html
>                           http://www.freebsd.org/~fsmp/SMP/benches.html

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |