Date:      Tue, 07 Aug 2001 11:07:48 -0400
From:      Robert Withrow <bwithrow@nortelnetworks.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        bwithrow@engeast.BayNetworks.COM
Subject:   Ypbind malfunction on 4.x

Hi:

If I'm posting to the wrong list, please let me know.

There is a long-running problem in FreeBSD's yp/ypbind that is
evidenced by:

Aug  4 02:01:43 tuva ypbind[160]: NIS server [192.32.150.15] for domain "engeast" not responding
Aug  4 02:02:14 tuva last message repeated 30 times
Aug  4 02:04:15 tuva last message repeated 121 times

(And there would be other messages about throttling icmp messages, except
I've applied a patch to ypbind.c that at least throttles things down to
1 message per second.  This patch was posted to questions.)

... and it never rebinds to any other server.  The only way I've found
to fix the problem is to reboot.

I am experiencing this in 4.3 Release, and I've had it in 4.2 and earlier.

This problem has seen a little discussion in questions.  But I've never seen
anything in any of the lists about a solution to the core problem.  Maybe
I've missed this?

Anyone working on this?  It is a pretty serious problem (since you basically
can't do anything once it happens in typical NIS/Amd installations).  I'd
appreciate, at least, knowing if there is a non-reboot work-around.

Thanks!

--
Robert Withrow -- (+1 978 288 8256, ESN 248)
BWithrow@NortelNetworks.com