Date:      Sat, 28 Feb 1998 09:17:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Keith Woodworth <kwoody@citytel.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: best way to recover

On Sat, 28 Feb 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:

> Yup, that was me.

> Mounted.
>
> Well, that was clever after being warned, wasn't it?  fsck works on
> the character device and ignores the contents of cache, so it can see
> deficiencies where none exist.  If it "fixes" these deficiencies, it
> corrupts the disk.

Then I got really lucky a few days ago. My system had had an uptime of
just over 60 days. One of my disks have started to make a high pitched
whine so I was thinking about what might be the problem with it. I was
working in an xterm and thought I'd take a gander at fsck man page. got
distracted by a phone call and typed in fsck without man and it ran and
said it found some error, want to fix? Sure I thought, realzing that I would
have to reboot. Fixed and rebooted right from the xterm. Everything came
back up perfectly. Either I got really lucky or there is something
waiting to bite me in the ass RSN. Disk still makes a high-pitched whine
off and on...think its my Western Digital, though BSD is on my quantum.

A question though, if I take out my WD (wd0) which has the boot manager
on it for f1 or f5 boot options, will I still be able to boot BSD? How to
go about this so I can take out wd0 but still retain my BSD disk.

Keith