Date:      Sun, 28 Aug 2005 18:50:17 -0500
From:      Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Samba server hangs

I have a Samba 3 / FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE-p6 server that hangs I think,
based on fuzzy user report, after a few hours of working with a 240MB
psd (photoshop) file, It only seems to hang when he's working on this
project. It's done this 3 times in the last 4 days and only happens
when he is in the office and working on this project. here are the
symptoms:

* I can't login via ssh
* I can't type (login) anything at the console.

But:

* At the console I can scroll up and down with scroll lock.
* I can switch to different virtual terminals, ALT + Fn.
* The block cursor is still blinking (rc.conf, allscreens_flags=3D"-c blink=
").
* If I unplug the Ethernet cable the system says "em0: Link is Down"
and if I plug it back in the system responds saying it's back up.
* When I press the power button a few times I get "acpi: suspend
request ignored (not ready yet)".

And:

* No error messages on the console.
* I've look through all the logs in /var/log/, can't find anything.
* I've upgraded all ports on the system but the problem still
happens.... Samba-3.0.10 and Samba-3.0.14a_1,1.

I don't think It's a system load or hardware issue because he's
typically there at night or on the weekends, during the work day their
are people pushing and pulling hundreds of files from this server,
they are much smaller files but the volume is higher.

Any help would be helpful, thanks.