Date:      Sun, 12 Sep 1999 21:42:55 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        "dougy" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
Cc:        "Brian Somers" <brian@Awfulhak.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dialin PPP

> Thanks Brian
>
> By "ppp(8)" do you mean kernel ppp ??

Eh, no.  I mean ppp(8).  The 8 is the manual page section.  ppp(8) is
user-ppp.

> >> (1)    Are there are conflicts using user-ppp & kernel-ppp at same time
> >
> >No, although I'd tend to use ppp(8) for incoming ppp too - for the
> >same reasons I'd use it for outgoing.
>
> >> (3)    Is there an advantage in using mgetty instead of getty .... and if
> so
> >> is it             simply a matter of replacing references to getty or is
> >> there other stuff that         needs to be done to use mgetty
> >
> >Mgetty actively does things to your tty whereas getty usually doesn't.
>
> I haven't got mgetty installed at present because when I did it kept filling
> my hard drive with countless messages, so I re-installed BSD without
> selecting mgetty .... according to the docs I've read about setting up
> dialin, this uses getty rather than mgetty, so the business about "actively
> does things" mean anything immediately relevant to my present project
> which is simply configuring the thing so I can login to my LAN and hopefully
> the  internet by dialling in from another remote location ??

The only reason you might need mgetty is if you want to receive faxes
and voice as well as data.  Use getty(8) if you just want data.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>