Date:      Sun, 9 Nov 1997 07:57:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kim Culhan <kimc@kim.net>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help with sound driver on 2.2.5-RELEASE

On Sun, 9 Nov 1997, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> as you can see the device is unit 1 so you have to use /dev/dsp1 and
> friends, or make symlinks from /dev/dsp -> /dev/dsp1, /dev/mixer ->
> /dev/mixer1, etc.
>
> This is all in the readme file.

Ok, I have this now but there is still this problem:

Without the links in place:

maplay -v test.mp2
can't open /dev/dsp for writing: No such file or directory

With the symlink:

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel         9 Nov  9 07:44 dsp -> /dev/dsp1

maplay -v test.mp2
test.mp2 is a layer II stereo MPEG audio stream
without checksums.
The sample frequency is 44.1 kHz at a bitrate of 192 kbit/s.
This stream is an original and is not copyright protected.
write to /dev/dsp failed: No such file or directory

I have rtfm'd but dont understand what is causing this, please advise.

regards
kim