Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 96 11:09:59 PST
From:      Christopher Wilkins <zing@pacificws.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   questions related to getting freeBSD to boot from HD after install

1) Does freeBSD 2.1 support a translating BIOS or do I need to disable that?
I have three EIDE drives, (540 MB, 1.2 GB, 1.2 GB) and want to be able to
run both Windows 95 and freeBSD. I think Windows needs either a translating
BIOS or software to enable it to use the larger hard drives. If freeBSD does
not support a translating BIOS, then I guess I will need to install Western
Digital's ontrack software that comes with their drives.

2) Does the freeBSD 2.1 install have a problem with putting the boot manager
on a different disk than the one that I am installing freeBSD onto? I am
trying to install freeBSD onto part of disk E:(1.2 GB). I want to have a 511
MB DOS partion on it and freeBSD on the rest. If I understand correctly, the
boot manager needs to go on at the beginning of drive C:(540 MB). What do I
need to do to insure that this happens?

3) Are there any special problems trying to have freeBSD coexist with
Windows 95? Win 95 is already installed.

My system:

Pentium 90
Intel motherboard
24 MB RAM
Mitsumi 2X CD-ROM connected through SB16
USR 28.8 Sportster internal modem
Diamond Stealth 64 2MB DRAM

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions/help/solutions that people have
to offer.

Thanks

Chris Wilkins
zing@pacificws.com