Date:      Wed, 5 Jul 2006 19:53:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Freddie Cash" <fcash@ocis.net>
To:        "Derrick T. Woolworth" <dwoolworth@gmail.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SATA300 Controllers

On Wed, July 5, 2006 6:02 pm, Derrick T. Woolworth wrote:
> Sorry for cross-posting, but these issues seem relevant for lists...

> Has anyone had success with SATA300 controllers with FreeBSD 6.1?
> I've been trying Promise and nVidia nForce4 and I'm not having any
> luck.  Using a MSI K8NGM2-L motherboard and others, but 6.1's

Considered getting a real, server-class motherboard with a
server-class chipset on it?  Something using an AMD 8000-series
chipset, or a ServerWorks chipset, or even (as a last resort) an Intel
chipset?  Something other than nVidia and Ati.  :)

We're got several dozen servers (tower and rackmount) using Tyan S2882
motherboards, with 3Ware Escalade 9550SX RAID controllers.  Running
FreeBSD 6.1 on a 12x 400 GB SATA HD RAID5 array was fun.  :)  4 TB of
usable diskspace.  Unfortunately, it was reformatted with Debian Linux
before being put into production.

----
Freddie Cash
fcash@ocis.net