Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 1999 12:59:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu (Zhihui Zhang)
Cc:        dnelson@emsphone.com (Dan Nelson), ben@scientia.demon.co.uk (Ben Smithurst), cjclark@home.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hopefully three simple questions

Zhihui Zhang wrote,

> On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Dan Nelson wrote:

> > > I have found a solution (hopefully correct):
> > >
> > > # find / -type d -ls | awd '{print $2, $11}' | sort -n | tail
> > >
> > > -Zhihui
> >
> > The "size" of the directory printed by 'find' does not always indicate
> > how many files are in it.  If you fill a directory with files and then
> > delete every other file, it won't be able to compact out the empty
> > slots.  You'll have to walk the entire directory tree and count the
> > files in each subdirectory, I'm afraid.
> >
> Yes! If you do a rm * under a directory, the directory size remains the
> same until next time you do a lookup operation on it.  It is a good point!

An even better point is that the size of the directory is also a
function of the length of the filenames it holds. For example,

% mkdir test1 test2
% touch test1/{00,01,02,03,04,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19}
% touch test2/AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA{0,1,2,3,5}
% ls -A test1 | wc -l
      20
% ls -A test2 | wc -l
       5
% ls -ld test?
drwxrwxr-x  2 cjc  staff   512 Dec 10 12:48 test1
drwxrwxr-x  2 cjc  staff  1024 Dec 10 12:49 test2

Even though test2 has fewer files, it's bigger.