Date:      Tue, 11 May 2021 10:09:43 -0700
From:      Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Changes in vfs.zfs.arc_max on 13

Hello,
I have a handful of systems running both 13.0-REL and 13-STABLE and have
noticed a few deviations from what I've found in the handbook in regards
to the vfs.zfs.arc_max sysctl knob.  I am referring to this section of
the Handbook:
https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/zfs/

I see a handful of references to using vfs.zfs.arc_max, but when run on
my 13.x systems it states this knob is legacy:
$ sysctl -d vfs.zfs.arc_max
vfs.zfs.arc_max: max arc size (LEGACY)

It seems the preferred method moving forward is to use vfs.zfs.arc.max.
No biggie there, I am happy to submit an update PR to the handbook for that.

The next issue I am seeing is that when setting this variable the
example from the handbook states you can do something similar to this
(section 20.6.2.3):

vfs.zfs.arc_max="40M"

This throws an error on my system:
$ sudo sysctl vfs.zfs.arc_max=2048M
sysctl: invalid unsigned long '2048M'
$ sudo sysctl vfs.zfs.arc_max=2G
sysctl: invalid unsigned long '2G'

Using the human unfriendly form works though:
$ sudo sysctl vfs.zfs.arc.max="2000000000"
vfs.zfs.arc.max: 0 -> 2000000000
$

Is this a bug, or would it be best to also update the documentation accordingly to reflect this?  Personally I like the old behavior as it's easier on my eyes.

Thanks!
-pete

--
Pete Wright