Date:      Sun, 6 Apr 1997 22:28:32 +1000 (EST)
From:      proff@suburbia.net
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfilter compilation

> As proff@suburbia.net wrote:
>
> sys/netinet/Makefile: No such file or directory.

Yes, the situation isn't as simple as I had initially assumed. What
actually takes place is config(8) builds a one-for-all Makefile
in sys/compile/kernel_name based on path to option relationships
specified in sys/conf/files and i386/conf/files.

You could symlink the files back up to /usr/src/contrib/ipfilter/*,
or symlink these down to sys/netinet, but cvs doesn't appear able
to manage symlinks.

There seems to be nothing preventing config(8) handling the following
type of construct in sys/conf/files (which I think is the only
reasonable solution, given how the kernel build is performed).

../../contrib/ipfilter/ip_fil.c		optional ipfilter inet
../../contrib/ipfilter/fil.c		optional ipfilter inet
../../contrib/ipfilter/ip_nat.c		optional ipfilter inet
../../contrib/ipfilter/ip_frag.c	optional ipfilter inet
../../contrib/ipfilter/ip_state.c	optional ipfilter inet

instead of:

netinet/ip_fil.c	optional ipfilter inet
netinet/fil.c		optional ipfilter inet
netinet/ip_nat.c	optional ipfilter inet
netinet/ip_frag.c	optional ipfilter inet
netinet/ip_state.c	optional ipfilter inet

> The sys/ tree is not supposed to have references to outside.  I've
> been asking the very same question (about how to maintain the
>
> --
> cheers, J"org

I don't see that outside references are a problem, provided the
user is kept aware of them. The kernel does depend on some outside
references i.e /usr/include and the all the tools used to build
it. LINT/generic can simple be given this comment

	# you need src/contrib/ipfilter accessable to compile
	# ipfilter into the kernel
	options IPFILTER
	#options IPFITLER_LKM
	options IPFILTER_LOG

This seems greatly perferable to me than splitting up a contributed
package in such a way that it will be effectively unmaintainable.

--
Prof. Julian Assange  |If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people
proff@suburbia.net    |and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless
proff@gnu.ai.mit.edu  |immensity of the sea. -- Antoine de Saint Exupery