Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 12:34:40 +0200
From:      "julien" <julien@iside.net>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, "cristophe baillon" <cb@iside.net>
Subject:   mylex raid card problem on 4.2-stable

Hi all,

We have a quite disapointing problem with a mylex 170 card, which causes
a system crash every 6 hours.
This card is installed in a VA Linux 2240 with 4 18GB drives, configured
in a single RAID 5 pack, running a FreeBSD 4.2-stable system.
We have to notice that this system ran during 4 months without any
problem, and that we have many other servers running this configuration
without any kind of problem.

The kernel output says :
mly0: enclosure 1 temperature sensor 0 failed
mly0: enclosure 1 temperature sensor 0 ok
mly0: enclosure 1 temperature sensor 0 failed
mly0: enclosure 1 temperature sensor 0 ok

This message is repeated every 30 seconds and, after arround 3 hours,
the server hangs.
Sometimes, we've got this one :
mly0 : Got AM completion for nonbusy Slot 0

Generally, the server runs during 3 hours without messages, then 3 hours
with the message "mly0: enclosure 1 temperature sensor 0 failed (...)"

For a test purpose, we tried to "hot extract" one of the drives, and we
plugged it in again. Then, the card rebuilt the pack, and the system ran
without problems during 15 days. Finaly, the problem comes back again
with the same messages.

Any kind of help would be very appreciated.

Thanx