Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 2000 16:11:07 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Paulo Melo <pmelo@fe.uc.pt>
Subject:   Can't install with 4.1 or 4.1.1, but can with 4.0RC2

Hi all - I hope this is the right place to post this one.

	I have a server with a N440BX motherboard but with just one
PIII550 processor. The board has an in-board Symbios SYM53C876 SCSI
controller, and I have 3 x 9GB disks in it. No exotic hardware was added.

	I could without any trouble install 4.0RC2 in it (to try it out,
some 6 months ago). However, I intend now to put it to work, and am trying
to install 4.1.1 on it. However, having created the kernel and mfsroot
diskettes I noticed it hang up on me in /stand/sysinstall (it boots the
kernel without problems, draws the screen for sysinstall but hangs without
recognizing the keyboard afterwards). I tried to boot a CD with 4.1 and
the same thing happens. However, the 4.0RC2 CD allows me to install
without problems. This is no problem in the media, as it was used to make
another install in an older machine without problems.

My guess is that is something to do with SMP support (as I only have one
processor) but I see no sign of it on the boot messages up to the hang
point. Is this support in the -Stable branch active? If so, can it be
de-activated? Any other suggestions (I would prefer not to upgrade it
from a running 4.0RC2 system, as it is on a slow link)?

	TIA
		Paulo Melo