Date:      Sat, 10 Oct 1998 13:56:08 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@gorean.org>
To:        Jargo Liib <jargo@liib.ee>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lost passwords

	Please fix  your mailer so that it wraps lines at around 72 characters,
and does not send out HTML-encoded mail. Otherwise your posts will
simply be ignored by a large number of people.

> Jargo Liib wrote:
>
> Hello gurus,
>
>     I have a problem concerning one of my users -- the unfortunate fellow has forgot his password and asked me to look it up for him. Becouse I'm the root, I can do this but I don't know how. Can you please help me, please??

	Actually in all likelihood you cannot retrieve someone's password. What
you can do is blank out his pass using vipw. This will allow him to log
in with no password and change it himself. You should only do this if
you know that he will be logging in immediately to change it. The other
option is to use passwd and change it for him. The man page will give
you the details for vipw and passwd.

Good luck,

Doug
--
***           Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network          ***

    Go PADRES!