Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2022 12:10:45 +0000
From:      "Dave Cottlehuber" <dch@skunkwerks.at>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, "Peter Ludikovsky" <87f918bc367b9c42361ed314d25d7d77@ludikovsky.name>
Subject:   Re: nginx-full missing in FreeBSD 13

On Mon, 24 Jan 2022, at 08:20, Peter Ludikovsky wrote:
> Am 21.01.2022 um 11:28 schrieb Dave Cottlehuber:

[cc'ing list for posterity]

>> On Fri, 21 Jan 2022, at 08:11, Peter Ludikovsky wrote:
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> Doing updates in my Web jail I noticed that pkg wants to remove
>>> nginx-full. Checking with `pkg search nginx` I see that that package
>>> isn't in the repos anymore. Now I wonder:
>>>
>>> -   is nginx the replacement for nginx-full?
>>> -   if not, why was it removed?
>>>
>>> TIA,
>>> /peter
>>
> Since I never changed it it's apparently still set to quartely (amd64).

https://www.freshports.org/www/nginx-full shows you state of this package
in quarterly branch. It's missing for 13.0-RELEASE quarterly, please add
a PR on bugzilla to notify maintainer.

> Does it make sense for a stable environment to switch to latest instead?

That's your call to make.

How frequently do you run `pkg upgrade` etc? what would happen if something
breaks?

All I can say for quarterly vs latest packages is, how much "many small
changes but maybe occasionally broken" are you prepared to accommodate vs
a much larger change once a quarter? If you have a problem during upgrading
how easy is it to roll back for you to the preceding version?

I'd suggest you switch to /latest/ for another 2 months, and worst case
in March you can switch back to quarterly when its synced again off
latest anyway.

Since the rise of systemd & switching from debian to FreeBSD in early
10-CURRENT era, I've run latest packages, then added own pkg build
infrastructure too.

A+
Dave