Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 1995 18:31:52 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Pritchard <pritc003@maroon.tc.umn.edu>
To:        nate@trout.sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        rkw@dataplex.net, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/conf Makefile.i386

> > Further, a user who does not have the entire source distribution could
> > "create" the includes by either copying or linking in /usr/include.
>
> *BLECH*  BSD systems have *never* (and should *never*) require that you
> have the complete source tree installed just to build a kernel.  Making
> them go through alot of trouble to build a kernel is a waste of their
> time.  Many, many more people build kernels w/out src trees than people
> who build kernels w/src trees.  We are trying to make the system
> *easier* to use for the avg. user w/out penalizing the developer.
>
> Show me a solution that does that and it'll get into the tree.  If it
> doesn't provide both, then it's not a complete solution.  I wanted to
> provide a ENVIRONMENT variable which was set to provide /usr/src/include
> protection, but it was show down.
>
> Nate

Ok, how about conditionally adding /usr/include to the -I list.
E.g. in the kernel makefile do:

.if !exist /usr/src/include
CFLAGS +=-I/usr/include
.endif

(or whatever the correct makefile syntax is)

If I have /usr/src/include installed then my kernel build uses the include
files from my source tree.  If I simply downloaded just the kernel sources,
then it will pick up the include files from /usr/include.
--
Mike Pritchard
pritc003@maroon.tc.umn.edu