Date:      Fri, 13 Aug 2004 10:31:07 +0200
From:      Remko Lodder <remko@elvandar.org>
To:        Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: can I reinstall make?

Roger Merritt wrote:

> root@kepler:/usr/ports/devel/autoconf253# cd ../../lang/perl5.8
> root@kepler:/usr/ports/lang/perl5.8# make deinstall
> Missing }.
>
> This doesn't look good. At the moment the machine is still fulfilling
> its main function as a gateway to the Internet for the Windows machines
> in our student computer lab, but I fear for the future. How can I be
> sure the problem is really with 'make' and how can I fix the problem if
> it is?

It seems that it can't interpret the Makefile enough, or that there is a
dependency which has a missing }.

Did you try updating the ports sources via cvsup? If not, perhaps you
can try that so you will have latest ports sources, which might have
this issue corrected. If not, you can also go to the ftp servers of
freebsd, and download the /distfile you need (automake and autoconf for
example) and install them with pkg_install <filename>
That way you have a precompiled binary, which you can use, so that
perhaps the issue goes away.

Cheers!

--
Kind regards,