Date:      Sat, 29 Aug 2020 23:14:40 -0600
From:      Adam Weinberger <adamw@adamw.org>
To:        Pau Amma <pauamma@gundo.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, tcberner@freebsd.org, FreeBSD Developers <developers@freebsd.org>, Michael Gmelin <grembo@freebsd.org>, Niclas Zeising <zeising@freebsd.org>, ports@freebsd.org, portmgr@freebsd.org, Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Maintainer notification script (was Re: Aggressive ports removal)

> On Aug 29, 2020, at 22:37, Pau Amma <pauamma@gundo.com> wrote:
>=20
> =EF=BB=BFOn 2020-08-30 00:50, Adam Weinberger wrote:
>> [major snip]
>> This is a serious issue that we=E2=80=99ve been dealing with for a long t=
ime.
>> I=E2=80=99ve advocated very strongly for a script that automatically noti=
fies
>> the maintainer (+/- ports@?) when a port is marked BROKEN and/or
>> DEPRECATED. Community notification is always a good thing, and it
>> opens the door for objections and discussion. Nobody has written such
>> a script, but I would be thrilled to help deploy such a script if
>> someone writes it.
>=20
> What would be needed in such a notifier? I imagine it would be called by t=
he post-receive hook in the central git repository-to-be for ports. I'm not v=
ery familiar with python or git hooks, but perhaps contrib/hooks/multimail/p=
ost-receive.example could be extended or modified and made into (part of) a p=
ost-receive hook to:
> 1- check whether one or more port Makefiles were modified;
> 2- get from the port Makefiles in step 1 those that have a changed/removed=
/added BROKEN(_[a-zA-Z0-9_]*)?, DEPRECATED, or EXPIRATION_DATE;
> 3- email each MAINTAINER=3D address (for the ports coming out of step 2) u=
sing a suitable template.

In my mind, commit hooks are there to perform tasks that the repo cannot fun=
ction without, as fragility in a commit hook could bring down the whole tree=
. But perhaps I am giving the commit hooks too much credit here?

Perhaps we could sweep the tree at certain intervals and notify maintainers w=
hen a new entry is added.

# Adam

=E2=80=94
Adam Weinberger