Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2007 02:51:15 -0800
From:      Beech Rintoul <beech@alaskaparadise.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Thierry Thomas <thierry@freebsd.org>, Xavier Otazu <xotazu@cvc.uab.es>
Subject:   Re: grace 5.1.21 port

On Wednesday 25 April 2007, Xavier Otazu said:
> Hello,
>
> Great news!
>
> Thanks a lot for your effort!
>
> Where may I learn how to become a port maintainer?  I've seen the
> Porter's Handbook, but I am not sure I will have enough time to
> read all this handbook in order to maintain the grace port. There
> some "short" handbook to know the basic skills to become a
> maintainer?
>
> cheers,
>
> Xavier

There really isn't any shortcut. If anything the porter's handbook=20
isn't detailed enough. You should start out understanding everything=20
in the Makefile for the port your interested in maintaining. Same=20
goes for the pkg-plist and all other relevent files. The porter's=20
handbook is an excellent tutorial, the more you learn about the=20
overall structure, the easier it will be to do an upgrade. There are=20
a lot of useful tools in /usr/ports/ports-mgmt that can make your=20
life easier. I use porttools quite a bit.=20

Just digest the handbook a chunk at a time, and before long it will=20
all start to make sense.

Good Luck,

Beech

=2D-=20
Beech Rintoul - Port Maintainer - beech@alaskaparadise.com
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | FreeBSD Since 4.x
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail   | http://www.freebsd.org
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Latest Release:
/ \  - http://www.freebsd.org/releases/6.2R/announce.html