Date:      Thu, 27 Nov 1997 03:40:06 +0100 (MET)
From:      Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        dg@FreeBSD.ORG, chat@hub.freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD.ORG name servers (was: Re: major push by spammers?)

> Hmmm.  What would be a better code if one simply wished to toss it away?
>
> And I wonder if running a caching named on mail.freebsd.org wouldn't
> perhaps be a good idea, if only to avoid the scenario of temporary DNS
> outtages.  Would it even help?

Talking of FreeBSD.ORG nameservers - all three of them lie on the
wrong side of MAE-east as seen from me :-( This will e.g. sometimes
block me from reaching cvsup.no.freebsd.org , even though I
get to the actual IP address in approx 20ms.

Is there any particular reason to not run a secondary in some other
location(s), more netwise dispersed?  I can run a secondary here if it
is of interest - it take me about 3 minutes to set one up.  (About 100
to 150 ms from the major parts of the US and Europe.  Approx 3 hours
line downtime during the last year).

Eivind.