Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 1999 13:01:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        Scott Michel <scottm@CS.UCLA.EDU>
Cc:        bush doctor <dervish@bantu.cl.msu.edu>, FreeBSD Ports List <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hints on u/g XFree86?

On Mon, 23 Aug 1999, Scott Michel wrote:

> So, I'll ask it again: Is there a relatively painless way to u/g
> to XF86 3.3.4 w/o having to blat and recompile all my other ports
> and having to re-frob all of my (precious) configuration?

*SHUDDER* (was thinking about why I had to upgrade to 3.3.4, not the
process itself). (long story involving a BP6 MB that would not boot with a
PCI Stealth 3000 video, and the only decent 2D card I could pick up on
short notice was a Matrox G400 with 32MB of ram.  Talk about overkill,
maybe I'll pick up a G200 with 8 or 16MB and move the G400 into a game
machine).

All I did was download 3.3.4 from ftp.xfree86.org in the right format, and
follow the instructions.  Went painlessly enough, but I've never had a
port require 3.3.4 explicitly.  They'd try to install 3.3.4 if no X was
installed, but since installing 3.3.3.1 and before upgrading to 3.3.4, I
installed a CD's worth of ports (finally upgrading from the last
2.2.8-STABLE and wanted a totally clean break) using the ports collection
from about August 11, and didn't hit a single hitch.  I'd say to look at
the port to find out just what it is depending on.  dependancies are on
individual programs or files, not on ports/packages.

(checking my ports to see if I can answer this question myself)...
Nope, nothing that depends on anything other than binaries that 3.3.3.1
would install.

It doesn't look like as much as a minor lib number changed, so your
previously compiled programs shouldn't notice a difference.