Date:      Thu, 4 Oct 2001 12:23:45 +0200
From:      Markus Friedl <markus@Openbsd.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>, Zvezdan Petkovic <zvezdan@CS.WM.EDU>, security@FreeBSD.ORG, openssh@Openbsd.org
Subject:   Re: default cipher types in openssh

On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 02:44:26AM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 10:48:39AM +0300, Peter Pentchev wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 10:14:21PM -0400, Zvezdan Petkovic wrote:
> > > According to the above we just need to update the stable branch to
> > > 2.9.9, or at least the port (which seems to be on the way).
> > > Other people probably know what would be better solution.
> >
> > -STABLE is at 2.9.0 as of September 28th.  It seems to use AES128 now, too.
>
> Hmm, I didn't even know it could do that :)
>
> Someone needs to update the usage message for ssh:
>
>   -c cipher   Select encryption algorithm: ``3des'', ``blowfish''

the ssh binary says:

  -c cipher   Select encryption algorithm

the manpage says:

     -c blowfish|3des|des
             Selects the cipher to use for encrypting the session.  3des is
             used by default.  It is believed to be secure.  3des (triple-des)
             is an encrypt-decrypt-encrypt triple with three different keys.
             blowfish is a fast block cipher, it appears very secure and is
             much faster than 3des. des is only supported in the ssh client
             for interoperability with legacy protocol 1 implementations that
             do not support the 3des cipher.  Its use is strongly discouraged
             due to cryptographic weaknesses.

     -c cipher_spec
             Additionally, for protocol version 2 a comma-separated list of
             ciphers can be specified in order of preference.  See Ciphers for
             more information.

perhaps we should merge the 2 entries.